There are dozens of LMS out there and it is difficult to evaluate an LMS solution without understanding what exactly are you looking for. As a step #1 to help you with your evaluation, we have built a comprehensive list of every feature that most LMS-es support.
- Single-sign-on: Provide some sort of single sign on with tools like OKTA
- SCORM Compliance: Provide features that allow for SCORM compliant courses to be uploaded
- Multi-tenant: Application can support multiple different tenants that allow for different divisions, organizational units to sign up.
- Web conferencing: Inbuilt web conferencing platform
- Publish webinars: Adding live webinars to courses
- Tracking progress: Track progress of learners and courses
- Skill Gap Analysis Provide skill gap analysis features to highlight exactly what skills need work
- Skill Assessment: Contain a pre-course assessment for all skill development courses
- Projects: Give learners projects for the purpose of demonstrating their technical skill acquisition
- Content creation: Provides tools to create training materials for instructor-led and self-led courses
- Content Storage and Management: Provides functionality to store, organize and search all training content
- Content Libraries: Provides pre-created content (Courseware) on standard topics that can be used as part of a curriculum
- Assessments and Practice: Provides Quizzes, Testing and Software Simulations to reinforce and measure effectiveness of materials
- Content Delivery and Tracking: Includes Self-led, Instructor-led, web-based collaboration and tracking of completion for compliance
- Social Learning: Social Learning enables team members to learn by collaborating with each other
- Customer Training Training courses can be offered outside organization to customers and partners.
- Manager Portals: Manager Portals allows managers and/or parents to see progress of team members or children
- Course builder for users: Enables user to create courses.
- Role-Based Templates: Provides templates for course creation based on industry or role
- Assessments & Quizzes: Enables the design and administration of tests and quizzes
- Instructor-Led Training: Instructor-led training enables for design of classes that are led by an instructor.
- Performance reviews/360 feedback: Employees performance can be compared to make promotion and compensation decisions. 360 degree feedback can be included in feedback process
- Interactive Content: Interactive content contain interactive content for courses
- Video Content: Contains video content to supplement course material
- Learning Paths: Creates sequences of classes which must be taken in a specific order
- 24/7 Availability: Enables access to courses 24/7.
- Communication & Notifications: Provides functionality to communicate and send notifications to users.
- Assignment Scheduling: Enables users to plan assignments and dispense them automatically.
- Gamification: Motivates users by tracking points, achievements, and badges.
- Varied User types: Limits user access to certain functionality and courses
- Certifications: Provides custom certifications to distribute after course completion
- Customization: Create custom objects, fields, rules, calculations, and views
- Integration APIs: Integration of data, logic, objects, etc with other software applications
- Internationalization: Enables users to view and transact business with the same content in multiple languages and currencies.
- User, Role, and Access Management: Grant access to select data, features, objects, etc. based on the users, user role, groups, etc.
- Performance and Reliability Software is consistently available (uptime) and allows users to complete tasks quickly because they are not waiting for the software to respond to an action they took.
- Mobile User Support Access/manage courses through mobile
- Standard reports as well as the ability to create ad-hoc reports.
- Dashboards An easy to read, often single page, real-time user interface, showing a graphical presentation of the current status and historical trends of an organization’s Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to enable instantaneous and informed decisions to be made at a glance
E-Commerce: Enables user to sell their courses and receive compensation electronically.
- Course Marketplace: Enables users to purchase and consume courses via an online marketplace.
- Subscriptions: Enables user to sell and manage subscriptions to created courses.
- White Labeling: Customizes account to with homepage branding, personalized URL, and more
- Multilingual: Provides multiple language choices.
So how do you evaluate a Learning Management Platform (LMS) for your company?
A series of blogs answers this question for you.